Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!



Happy 108th Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

We love Dr. Seuss at our house and to celebrate his birthday I wanted to incorporate our favorite books, well, and the upcoming movie ;)

The Cat in the Hat



This sandwich is a Dr. Seuss inspired inside out ham and cheese sandwich. The filling is on top and the top of the sandwich on the bottom. I filled it with cream cheese so my kids can eat it as is :) The Cat in the Hat hat is made with American cheese and ham slices and there is also Goldfish crackers on a Fig Newton to represent Red Fish, Blue fish. Green Eggs and Ham is a piece of cheese with a cucumber egg yolk that I colored in with food coloring. The green egg is resting on turkey mini pepperonis since the kids prefer that to ham :)



And this Cat in the Hat inspired lunch is a round Nutella sandwich decorated with cheese eyes and food markers. The hat is made out of a Gala apple and I removed the peel to create the red and white stripes. The bow is also made out of the other half of the apple. On the side is a Fig Newton with two Goldfish crackers to represent red fish, blue fish and the grapes and apple were my sons idea. He thought it looked Dr. Seuss-ish ;)


One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish



The one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish lunch is a half a peanutbutter sandwich decorated with Goldfish crackers and food coloring to resemble the book cover. I also added a Fig Newtown with the letters READ stencil out of fruit strips and popcorn. I originally posted this lunch on Wednesday for Read Across America :)


and of course The Lorax


My two older kids wanted to have a Lorax lunch. The Lorax sandwich is cut and shaped out of bread, and the eyes are cheese and food coloring. I added the Lorax trees made out of carrot shavings and celery and all Dr. Seuss lunches need the red and white stripes so I made little cherry tomato and cheese picks. :)

Have a great Read Across America and Dr. Seuss Birthday - Day!

And now hop over to Shannon's blog and check out what she did for Dr. Seuss Day :)



This blog is part of the Dr. Seuss Blog Hop by Bento Bloggers & Friends :)

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

For more Dr. Seuss ideas click here:

18 comments:

  1. haha, these turned out great Nina! love them all. :) oh i just love all these Seuss lunches, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cuteness! I get such a kick out of seeing how everyone's done their Truffula trees differently :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! I am just starting to look at everyone's post. This is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great job, love them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're all so cute! I love your "read" message! Thats my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great lunches! I love the simplicity of the bread w/3 fishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lorax is amazing! I agree with Kandce... the "read" message it a MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you find blue Goldfish?
    Love the "book"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blue Goldfish were in the Space Adventure Goldfish pack. They are more blue/purple but worked for this lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all so good! Love the cat's apple bow tie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so super cute!! Awesome job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great line up! Love the creative touch with the 'eggs'

    ReplyDelete

 

Search This Site

Design Credits

Blog designed by Custom Blog Designs using Flergs' Inspired Memories Kit, Fonts courtesy of Kevin & Amanda.
I get the cutest handwriting fonts at Fonts for Peas! kevinandamanda.com/fonts